• Questions

    Frequently Asked Questions



    What do I do if my child is absent?


    In the event your child is absent, you can call First Alert. The number is 434-3344.  We ask that you call this number by 8:30 AM on the day your child is absent.  Please leave your message on the answering machine. If you notify the school that your child will be absent for more than one day, a notation will be made on the record, and you will not be expected to call on a daily basis. You can also email POBMSattendance@pobschools.org.

    Upon your child’s return to school, please provide a note with reason for absence to the Attendance Office.


    The following information will be required when you call:

    ·         Name of the student

    ·         Grade

    ·         First period teacher

    ·         Reason for absence

    ·         Anticipated length of absence


    After attendance is taken each day, the list of absent students will be compared to the list of parent call-ins.  Calls will then be made by the attendance office to the home or workplace of any parent who did not call in.  Appropriate records of all calls and responses will be kept.  In the event you can not be reached, the emergency phone numbers will be utilized (i.e., family, neighbors, or friends).



    * If you know your child is going to be late due to a medical appointment, please call First Alert.  If you plan on picking your child up early, please call the Main Office at 434-3308 so that we can let Security know.





    school work




    How does my child make an appointment with his/her counselor?

    To make an appointment you should come down to the guidance office before school, after school (9th Period), or during your lunch period.  Fill out an appointment slip and place it in your Counselor’s mailbox.  If you don’t know who your Counselor is or where her mailbox is, Mrs. Abrameto, our Guidance secretary will help you.

    You will then receive a pass in MAP on the morning of your appointment.  You MUST show this pass to your classroom teacher before coming to the appointment, that way they can mark their attendance properly.

    If it is a problem that needs immediate attention, the Counselors will do their best to get you in as soon as possible.  Sometimes we are not available immediately due to meetings or appointments but we will find you to help you as soon as we can. 

    There might be a day when you will get a pass in homeroom for an appointment that you did not schedule, that might be for a group meeting or for an appointment to see us to discuss something GREAT!  If it is during a period of a class that you feel you cannot miss, please let us know, so we can reschedule you for another time.

    What is MAP?


    MAP is a time to meet with other students and get to know your advisor.  It is a time to get to know yourself and others better.  MAP will include activities and discussions that will help you to develop friendships with other students, good work habits, and responsibility.  MAP will help each student discover and appreciate what is unique about themselves and others. Students stay with the same advisor for all four years of middle school.  This is another adult in the building for students to connect with.



    When is remedial?
    Remedial (extra help) is available to all students on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday during 9th period.  Students can attend Remedial with any of their team teachers.  Remedial is a great time for students to ask questions about class work or home work that you don’t understand.  It is also a great time to review for upcoming tests.
    How do I find a tutor for my child?
    If your child is in need of a tutor you can contact the High School's National Honor Society.  The National Honor Society has set up an e-mail address for all tutoring requests
    The e-mail address is: nhs@pobschools.org


    When should I contact my child’s Guidance Counselor?


    ·      To discuss academic concerns, social/emotional concerns, or behavioral issues

    ·      To set up a parent/teacher meeting

    ·      To discuss a family issue or concern

    ·      To discuss individual student needs

    ·      To obtain resources or community referrals


    Please check the school calendar for progress report and report card mailings.