Welcome to the POB World Languages Department. We're so happy you stopped by! If you're looking for our ENL webpage, please click HERE.
If you love learning another language, then you've come to the right place! At POB, we have FIVE languages to choose from: American Sign Language, French, Italian, Mandarin, and Spanish. In fact, you have the opportunity to study more than one language with us! There are numerous benefits to studying another language - it helps you make stronger and more flexible connections in your brain; discover different cultures and perspectives and gives you the opportunity to better understand your own culture and language; make new friends from all over the world. And don't forget about the celebrations, food and fashion! We have it all in World Language. OH - Did I mention that our department has some of the best teachers around? You'll learn a lot and engage in challenging lessons, but you will be supported along the way.
Highlights of our program include …
- the study of Mandarin Chinese from grades 1 through 12
- exploratory language classes in French, Chinese, and Spanish through Curriculum Enrichment Units for 5th graders
- Checkpoint A level classes starting in 7th grade for American Sign Language, Chinese, French, and Spanish
- Advanced Placement and honor courses in Chinese, French, Italian and Spanish
- Ability to earn college credit through Adelphi University in ASL, French, and Spanish in our level 5 high school classes
- Honor Societies for all of our World Languages - our honor societies emphasize service, learning and collaboration. We would love to have you apply when you're a junior or senior.
NEW IN 2022: We are very excited to start our Introduction to American Sign Language in 7th grade!
Hi everyone, if you're looking for a Spanish tutor, look no further! Click HERE to sign up!
Hi everyone! We will be accepting applications for our World Language Honor Societies starting on Wednesday Sep. 14, 2022. Check back here for full details. Your world language teacher will also share it with you in class. Good luck!
Visit our POBJFK High School World Language Honor Society table at the lobby for some fun, treats, and a little lesson in one of our languages!
World Language and ENL
Office: JFK HS Room 135