Universal Pre-Kindergarten Information
We are happy to announce that the Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District is planning to offer a Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) program for the 2023-2024 school year. Children must be four years of age on or before December 31, 2023, to be eligible to participate and be a resident of the Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District. This program is fully funded by Federal and New York State Department of Education grants. All placements in the program are contingent upon the reauthorization of the Universal Pre-Kindergarten grants.
The Universal Pre-K program will be a full-day program, running Monday through Friday, offered through partnerships with Universal Pre-Kindergarten centers located within the district. The program will begin on or about September 1, 2023 and will follow the school district calendar. There is NO COST to participate in this program. Wrap-around services for “before care” and/or “after care” are additional expenses not covered by the grants. Parents and guardians are responsible for providing transportation for their child. The curriculum follows NYS Pre-Kindergarten Standards and is taught by New York State Certified Teachers.
The lottery registration is now closed. We will notify families of their lottery position for UPK placement after February 6, 2023. After notification of your lottery spot, we will begin the selection and registration process.
Families who are granted a UPK lottery spot will then be asked to register with the District. Please do not begin the registration process, which includes presenting proper documents of birth and residency, until after lottery notification in February.
Any questions may be directed to POBUPK@pobschools.org
Please review the following information regarding the application process:
- Seats are limited to approximately 163 students and placement is not guaranteed.
- Students will be selected for the program by a randomized lottery to be observed by the District’s auditing firm. Please see information below on entering the lottery. Requests to enter the lottery past the deadline are unable to be accommodated.
- Parents/guardians who have entered the lottery will be given the opportunity to rank the participating Pre-K centers in order of preference.
- The number of seats available at each of the locations for the Pre-K program is limited, and placement will be determined by the results of the randomized lottery.
- In order to provide a fair and consistent process for all qualified residents, we cannot honor requests to switch locations.
- Once all seats are filled, children will be placed on a waiting list.
- Students must be a Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District resident and be 4 years of age on or before December 31, 2023 (a birthdate between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019) in order to participate.